Five Common Household Products That Are Toxic

We all try being careful, removing the known hazards from our households, yet there are many products that you likely have in your home that you probably didn’t know were toxic. Here are five that might shock you:

1. Candles.
While candles add atmosphere to a room, they’re also filling it up with harmful gases and sediments. And it doesn’t always matter whether the candle is paraffin, vegetable oil, or beeswax based. During combustion, all candles release soot carbon particles that can lead to respiratory problems.

Also, paraffin wax starts out as a byproduct of petroleum, coal, or shale. After it’s extracted from the mix, the paraffin bathes in industrial-strength bleach to give it its signature whiteness. However, this also infuses paraffin with dioxins. Another chemical, Acrolein, a compound linked to the risk of lung cancer from cigarette smoke, is added to paraffin as a solidifying agent.

While the candle industry insists that the final product is inert, studies have shown that the burning of paraffin candles releases benzene and toluene, both known carcinogens, into the atmosphere. Even high-end candles aren’t any safer. The vast majority of candles from retailers like Bed, Bath & Beyond, Yankee Candle Store, and Crate & Barrel are mostly made from paraffin.

To add to all this, artificial dyes and synthetic fragrances are often added to candles, especially those used in aromatherapy. The recipe varies from candle to candle, but the fragrances and dyes, which are often synthetic, can contain toxic plasticizers and solvents, which should be avoided. Also, those extra ingredients burn, which means additional soot.

2. Dryer Sheets.
Like with candles, the fragrance found in sheets from brands such as Downy and Bounce might pose health risks, as toxins can permeate those sheets and transfer to your clothes and skin. It is also released into the air from dryer vent emissions, which are not regulated. And because the fragrances the manufacturers use are trade secrets, we have no way of really knowing exactly what they contain.

A study, published in the August 2011 issue of the journal Air Quality, Atmosphere and Health, indicates that scented laundry items can contain numerous carcinogens, including acetaldehyde and benzene.

3. Baby Wipes.
Not only are baby wipes used by most parents to help keep their kids clean and comfortable, they’re also used in many households without small children and used for many things, such as a toilet paper substitute, makeup removal, and to clean personal electronics screens.

Some baby wipes contain the compound Bronopol, which is also found in shampoos and other personal-care products. Bronopol, used in place of alcohol, is an antimicrobial that can release low levels of formaldehyde as it breaks down. A volatile organic compound, formaldehyde can irritate the eyes and throat and cause headaches and dizziness. It has also been classified as a probable human carcinogen by the Environmental Protection Agency.

Baby wipes may also contain phthalates, a chemical often used to soften plastics. You’ll often find phthalates in many plastic household products and toys, but they’re also used in some baby wipes to help soften the lotion and support the fragrance. As the manufacturers of wipes don’t need to disclose all their ingredients, its difficult to pinpoint which ones contain phthalates.

Studies over the years have raised red flags. Phthalates are known endocrine disruptors, and unlike adults, infants do not have developed endocrine systems. Even more disturbing, researchers have found phthalates in the urine of infants whose mothers used baby products containing the chemical.

4. Markers.
Permanent and dry-erase markers from manufacturers like DriMark, Sharpie, Prismacolor and Crayola are both a favorite tool and toy in many households. But that pungent aroma they emit can be a hint to their toxicity. Markers are often rich in chemical solvents, including xylene, which is a neurotoxic aromatic hydrocarbon that can leave people feeling sick even after exposure to trace amounts. You’ve probably noticed how it can irritate your eyes, nose, and throat when you first remove the marker’s cap. Other common complaints are headaches, breathing difficulties, dizziness and brain fog after exposure to markers, even those that are labeled as “Non-Toxic.”

Xylene is a byproduct of petroleum and coal tar. Beyond its use in markers, it’s used as an industrial solvent. It’s also found in gasoline, rust preventatives, and some paints and varnishes. It’s rapidly absorbed by the lungs and enters the blood system almost immediately after exposure.

5. Carpets.
Carpets release hazardous volatile organic compounds including toluene, bromine, benzene, formaldehyde, ethyl benzene, styrene, and acetone. Routine exposure to these chemicals are known to cause headaches, throat and eye irritation, allergies, confusion, and drowsiness. Synthetic carpets that contain nylon and olefin fibers are typically the worst offenders.

Regular exposure to significant levels of these toxins can pose long-term problems, including learning and memory impairment, birth defects, decreased fertility, and diseases of the liver, thyroid, ovaries, kidneys, and blood. Benzene is a well-known human carcinogen and formaldehyde is a probable human carcinogen. Some new carpets also contain the moth-proofing chemical naphthalene, which is known to produce toxic reactions, especially in newborns. Also, found in some carpets is p-Dichlorobenzene, a carcinogen also known to produce fetal abnormalities when tested on animals.

But it’s not just new carpets that cause a problem. While older carpets no longer emit these chemicals, over time dust mites and their droppings begin to permeate the nap. The droppings cause severe allergic reactions in many people, and researchers are just beginning to correlate dust mite exposure to asthma. Household dust can also have high levels of lead, as the heavy metal still permeates our soil from the days of leaded paint and gasoline. We also add toxins into our carpets when we walk on them with our shoes, tracking in contaminated dirt and pesticides from the outdoors. Also, almost any toxic substance we use at home, from paints, to bug sprays, to candle or fireplace soot, can settle into carpet fibers and stay trapped there for years.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s